If and when you visit Greece you will be bombarded with greek salads everywhere.Even if you don’t want it you will see people ordering it on the next table and you will salivate all over the floor like a dog for it. What Pizza is to Italy Greek salad is to Greece.(my personal opinion)
We ate this for lunch,breakfast and at pubs! Have you ever imagined a salad as a finger food?Well..We ate greek salad like that but I think that happened only cause we were in Greece.
Let me first tell you what it doesn’t have.No lettuce please! No green olives and definitely no cabbage!An authentic greek salad has a nice slab of feta cheese drizzled with the olive oil and oregano dressing, on top of the salad with tonnes of oregano and Kalamata olives.This salad is as easy as salads can get.The feta cheese adds an extra dimension to the otherwise simple salad of cucumber and tomato.It also seasons the salad so you have to be careful in adding salt to your dressing.
You can find feta cheese in Godrej’s Natures Basket, Foodhall or Namdharis.I found Feta cheese made in Auroville for under Rs 250 in Namdharis!
I am not the one to usually follow recipes to the T.I always make some changes but this salad is famous because of a reason.And hence its best to stick to the classic ingredients.
Serves: 2 servings
- Ripe Tomatos-2- quartered
- Cucumber-1 (large)-quartered
- Onion-1 julienned
- Green pepper/Capsicum-1
- extra virgin olive oil-1 tablespoon
- Oregano-1 tablespoon
- Sea Salt-1 teaspoon
- Feta cheese-200 gms
- Kalamata olives/Black olives-10-15-sliced
- Mix the oregano,olive oil and salt to make the dressing.
- Toss the tomatos,cucumber,onion,green pepper and olives. Add half the dressing and toss.
- Place the Feta Cheese on top.Add rest of the dressing on the feta cheese.