My story seems to be quite the opposite of most of the whole30 subscribers.I am on my 23 day and my cravings are sky rocketing.First 15 days seemed breezy compared to the days now.I am constanlty craving ice cream when I didn’t even like it before.My mind is concsiosly going berserck thinking about stupid treats like a cracker.Because of all this upheavel in my head I have resorted to making more indian food to shut the mouth of my screeching cravings.And hence was born whole30 complaint chicken Tandoori with Suated mushrooms in Spinach sauce.
First thing to do is get yourself a pack of good quality Chicken Tandoori masala.
I understand most of you guys won’t find it in other countries and my evil self is a little assuaged because I don’t get the awesome chipotle or the ras-al-gul spice mixes here in india.OR for that matter I don’t get Almond flour or Almond milk also.But as I am benevolent I will guide you towards a good tandoori masala which you can make at home.
This masala can be used to marinade your meats for a barbeque also.It works on fish,chicken,potato,peppers,cottage cheese and right about anything and everything.
For all you NRI indians keep this stored in a airtight container to be used whenever you are homesick..:D
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mace
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Fenugreek
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ to 1 tsp paprika or Kashmiri Mirch
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp Ginger powder(optional-use fresh)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder(optional-use fresh)
Mix mix mix and enjoy the magic!
Baked Tandoori Chicken Leg
Ideally the tandoori chicken is marinaded in a mix of the above spices and yoghurt. But for this recipe I have skipped the yoghurt to be compliant with whole30 though it didn’t seem to be such a sacrifice.
- Tandoori Masala-1/2 tsp
- 1/2 inch of Ginger Minced
- 1 clove of Garlic Minced
- Lemon Juice-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- 1 whole Chicken Leg(I have used skinless but you can use with skin also)
- Ghee-1 tbsp
- Mix all the ingredients except the chicken and Ghee. Rub the Masala into the chicken.
- Marinade in the fridge for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Brush the ghee on both sides of chicken and place on the grill and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Increase the temperature to 200 degrees and grill for 15 more minutes.
Enjoy with Mint chutney
Mushrooms in Spinach Sauce
This dish was born more out of necessity than inspiration.I wanted to eat Palak Paneer which i obviously can’t have because of the restrictions.I usually use corn or potato in this dish when i don’t have paneer on hand.The only veggie available in my fridge was mushrooms and hence this recipe was born.
I also used the leftover it in making a green frittata the next day which i will put up in my next post.
- Spinach-3 cups
- Mushrooms-1 cup-quartered
- Cumin(whole)-1 tsp
- Ghee or clarified butter-1 tsp
- Chilli-1 cut open
- Salt to taste
- Heat water in a deep pan.Blanch or dunk the spinach in boiling water for 10 seconds.Cool and Puree it.
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan.Add the Cumin and split chilli.
- Once the cumin crackles add the onions and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and saute. Cook until the water evaporates and mushrooms turn golden brown.
- Add the pureed spinach and salt.
Enjoy with Meat or roti or even Rice!