Clafoutis was never the one indulgence I thought would end up eating before starting my second journey of whole 30.In hidsight, the choice was taken out of my hands the instant I saw these succulent looking cherries in Namdhari & the cherry on top(huh?) were the fresh blueberries I ended up paying double the amount for(hmmpp)..
Clafoutis is a french dessert served warm with a dust of powdered sugar.Apparently if you use anything other than Cherries it’s called a Flaugnarde instead.So semantically I have made two desserts but by adding one ingredient!
I went with the ever right Julia Child’s Recipe and kicked the ass of Clafotie!Her recipe is the simplest available online.No heavy cream or butter in it.You have to give some and take some..:D
It’s almost a baked form of pancakes.So if you are about to serve breakfast to a lot of people and want to enjoy with them instead of flipping flapjacks on the griddle this is the recipe to try.
Technicalities aside you can substitute the berries with figs,apples,plums or chocolate(I knew you were waiting for this!).I suggest going with large chocolate chunks instead of chips.One thing to note though is to make sure you use good quality vanilla paste or essence cause if you don’t then the desert will taste eggy.I used half of my vanilla bean.
This is the last indulgence for the month..maybe longer..We are travelling to Thailand by the end of this month so have to really look the part!!
Serves: 4 servings
- Whip the Wet ingredients together.(milk and eggs)
- Mix the dry ingredients-flour,salt and ⅓ cup sugar in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients slowly.Combine well till no lumps(i used my hand grinder)
- Pour ⅓ of the batter in dishes you are using.Fill the dishes ¼ height and Bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes till you see a film on top of the batter.
- Take out of the oven and dot it with cherries.(i only made one large one with a mix of blueberries and cherries)
- Distribute the rest of the sugar between the dishes.Top it up with the rest of the batter and bake for 30-35 minutes at 180 degrees.Its cooked if the knife or skewer you put inside is clear of the batter.(it might have some juices of the berries.This is ok)
- Let it cool slightly.Dust with powdered sugar and Breakfast is served!