I loved the traditional pound cake recipe from Martha Stewart site which I used to bake the Lemon Cranberry Pound Cake.It tasted even better after a day but the lack of a Chemical leveaner i.e. Baking Powder or Baking Soda did leave the cake a little heavier than I like.So I tweaked the recipe a bit and added Baking powder to the basic flour to make it into Self Raising Flour.
Self raising flour is basically normal all purpose flour or maida with baking powder.
1 Cup of Self Raising Flour = 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour (Maida) + 1 1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
So don’t get caught in this marketing gimmick of buying for a self raising flour like I did a few years ago(and didn’t end up using).If any recipe calls for self raising flour you can use the above formula and make it yourself!
I also added more liquid to the cake in the form of orange juice and I felt it made the pound cake lighter and crumbier(if thats even a word).
I will definitely try this recipe with other food pairings such as lemon and poppyseed, coffee and mango.It would
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups All purpose flour/Maida
- 4 large Eggs(or 5 small ones) at Room Temperature and Fresh
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ cup Maraschino Cherries
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ½ tsp Grated Orange Zest
- ½ Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Orange's Peel cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature. Using a hand whisk or a stand mixer whisk the butter until pale and creamy.This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Sugar and beat it for another 3-4 minutes till the butter sugar mixture is very pale.
- Break your eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time.Beat the mixture well for 3-4 minutes between each egg addition.
- Add the salt, vanilla essence and Orange juice.
- Fold in the flour little at a time.
- Add the cherries and pour the mixture in a prepared cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes at 180 degrees in the preheated oven.
- Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before unmoulding it.
- Mix the caster sugar with orange juice.
- Keep in mind that very little liquid is required to dissolve caster sugar
- Using a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler cut the orange peel.Slice is into thin strips.
- Heat a pan.Add the sugar and water and the orange strips and let it cook till the sauce thickens and coats the peels evenly.
- Remove from the syrup and decorate the cake with it.
The bundt baking pan I have used it my favourite Nordic ware pan from amazon.