Cherry & Orange Pound Cake is one of the most viewed cake recipe on this blog.This and the Moist Quinoa Chocolate Cake probably make up for 20 % of the visitors on this site and I cant tell you how grateful I am of the amazing response from all my readers on this one.
As is the moniker Cherry & Orange Pound Cake has moist red maraschino cherries which are available all through the year and some tangy Orange Juice.
Ideally a pound cake is suppose to have a pound each of sugar, flour,eggs and butter but we have evolved the recipe since then to get a lighter and better butter crumb.
This recipe is inspired from the the traditional pound cake recipe from Martha Stewart which I used to bake the Lemon Cranberry Pound Cake.It tasted even better after a day but the lack of a Chemical leveaner i.e. Baking Powder or Baking Soda did leave the cake a little heavier than I like.So I tweaked the recipe a bit and added Baking powder to the basic flour to make it into Self Raising Flour.
How to make Self Raisin Flour at home
Self raising flour can be easily made at home from all purpose flour or maida by adding some baking powder.
1 Cup of Self Raising Flour = 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour (Maida) + 1 1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
So don’t get caught in this marketing gimmick of buying for a self raising flour like I did a few years ago(and didn’t end up using).If any recipe calls for self raising flour you can use the above formula and make it yourself!
I also added more liquid to the cake in the form of orange juice and I felt it made the pound cake lighter and crumbier(if that’s even a word).
What We love about this Cherry & Orange Pound Cake
Pound cakes can be a little flat and boring at times, especially the ones with no flavouring.This pound cake recipe has the vibrancy from the orange juice and the preserved sweetened cherries, often used in cocktails and ice creams lends a unique sweet flavour to the pound cake.
In my opinion, one can never really go wrong with classic cakes.The butter crumb with sweet and sour tones from orange and cherry make this an ideal tea time cake.I think I have spend many a memorable evenings sitting on my balcony with this cake and some tea for company.
Before you dive into the recipe- also take a look at my other highly visited recipes- Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting,Moist Quinoa Chocolate Cake,Lime and Jasmine Tea Cake & French Apple Cake
Serves: 1 kg
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups All purpose flour/Maida
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 large Eggs(or 5 small ones) at Room Temperature and Fresh
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ cup Maraschino Cherries
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ½ tsp Grated Orange Zest
- ½ Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Orange's Peel cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature. Using a hand whisk or a stand mixer whisk the butter until pale and creamy.This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Sugar and beat it for another 3-4 minutes till the butter sugar mixture is very pale.
- Break your eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time.Beat the mixture well for 3-4 minutes between each egg addition.
- Add the salt, vanilla essence and Orange juice.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder.Fold in the flour mix little at a time in the egg mixture.
- Add the cherries and pour the mixture in a prepared cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes at 180 degrees in the preheated oven.
- Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before unmoulding it.
- Mix the caster sugar with orange juice.
- Keep in mind that very little liquid is required to dissolve caster sugar
- Using a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler cut the orange peel.Slice is into thin strips.
- Heat a pan.Add the sugar and water and the orange strips and let it cook till the sauce thickens and coats the peels evenly.
- Remove from the syrup and decorate the cake with it.