If you have been following my blog you would know I have been making a cake for every monthly milestone of our baby V.I want to do a different cake every month not only to celebrate the milestone but also to grow as a baker.
We all had a number of requirements this time.I was pretty clear about the look of the cake. I wanted it to be a white cake with multicolor sprinklers. My brother and sister in law wanted a chocolate cake and not some weird experimental nonsense(in their words). I didn’t want it to be too heavy cause I was going to frost the cake but I didn’t want it to be too light too. I looked around a lot but everything I found was gooey, chocolatey dark cake.Though I enjoy extra chocolaty extra moltenish cakes I wanted this one to be light and fluffy.
I found this cake recipe on Donna Hay’s website after a bit of searching and let me tell you it’s a winner. The method is a little different but it works like a charm! You get a light yet chocolaty cake perfect for layered cakes.
I quite enjoy the combination of chocolate with fruits so I sandwiched the cake with some strawberry compote and frosted the outside of the cake with cream cheese frosting.
Serves: 1 kg
- 1½ cup water(300 gm)
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter(100 gm)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa(40 gm)
- 3 cups all purpose flour(400 gm)
- 1½ tsp baking soda(10 gm)
- 2.5 cups sugar(700 gms)
- 3 eggs(140 gms)
- ¾ cup buttermilk(1/2 cup yogurt+1/4 Cup water)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Add the water,cocoa and butter to a sauce pan and heat till the butter melts.
- Combine the flour,sugar and baking soda.Add to the cocoa mixture from the pan and mix well.
- Add the eggs ,vanilla and buttermilk.Combine well.
- Pour the batter in two 9 inch prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool.
- Once they are cool level the cake.
- Sandwich the two cakes with the strawberry compote(recipe given below)
- Apply a light coating of the cream cheese frosting(recipe below) or any other frosting you have prepared.Smoothen the frosting.
- Keep in freezer for 15 minutes or fridge for 30 minutes.This is done so that the next layer comes out clean.
- Now Coat the cake with a second frosting now.This time be generous in the application.
- Decorate with colorful sprinklers.
Always check the cake 10 minutes before the baking time is over.Every oven behaves a little differently.
If you think the cake is burning from top but its still uncooked inside ,cover it with a foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
Trim and level the cake before frosting.Place the smooth side of the cake on the top for frosting.
The frosting this time though was a struggle.I wanted to use whipped cream but the fresh cream you get here locally is not suitable for whipping.After trying to whip it for 30 minutes we gave up.I then decided to try italian meringue buttercream frosting.I called in all the troops-one to pour the syrup and one to hold my hand whipping machine but the frosting split so I threw in my apron and walked out of the kitchen in a huff.I later found out that the frosting always looks like its split midway through the process and I should have continued.:(..well there is always a next time!
Serves: ½ cup
- 10 Strawberries fresh/Frozen diced
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Water
- Combine strawberries,sugar and water in a sauce pan.
- Place on a medium flame and cook till thick.
Now I had two options-buttercream or cream cheese.We choose the cream cheese frosting and let me say this..it’s easily the tastiest non chocolate frosting which can be whipped up in a jiffy.No need of any weird chemicals or freezing and defreezing.Its plain and simple and it always work like a charm!
I always use Britannia cream cheese.Its easily available and light on the pocket too.Find my review of Britannia cream cheese here.I use it whenever I make cheesecakes(recipes here,here and here) and dips
Serves: 2 cups
- 180 gms /1 cup Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 3 cups Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- Using a hand mixer combine the butter and cream cheese till creamy and soft and well mixed.
- Add the sugar and vanilla essence.
- Whisk together till combined.
- Frosting is Ready!
You can find the links of the products I used this recipe are below