It’s amazing to see the overwhelming response from the whole30 community on instagram!! It’s even more awesome to listen to your very very vegetarian mom saying your chicken shicken looked great!!: D…One thing which struck me today with our conversation was that this diet has no artificial “Protein Shakes” or “Fibre Tablets” or even a “specially brewed weight control green tea” like most of the diets dietitians are suggesting. There are no gimmicks; you know exactly what you are eating and where it has come from!
I am sure a lot of folks have gone from pillar to post searching for the best weight solution ever and been given a bunch of bottles filled with tablets! Or are given some great insight about eating only grated bottle guard (lauki) and yogurt for dinner for next 30 days or just a protein shake!! I am not saying they don’t work but for me a bowl of meatballs and zucchini spaghetti works much better…The most important factor this diet has addressed is the feeling of dieting! I don’t feel like I am dieting when I eat pretty food!!
My day 10 on whole30
Breakfast- Pear and one boiled egg
Lunch-tom kha Gai with Raw Mango salad
Dinner- Indian Bhindi(OKRA) Masala and one boiled Egg
In betweens – Black Coffee, Roasted Cashews.
Tom kha gai is one of my most favorite soups in the world! I love the combination of lemon and coconut which is the essence of this soup! I also love the fact that the soup can actually double as a curry because of its consistency!!:D I served my husband this along with rice..
I ate this along with a very pretty raw mango salad..I can’t make the actual Thai raw mango salad with the whole30 restrictions so I made a version of it…This is super simple and can make use of all your left over veggies! ANDDDD toasted cashews are THE SHIT!! I am going to come out of this diet with new favorites!
Tom Kha Gai
- 2 red chilies
- One thumb ginger (3 cms)
- 4-5 dried prawns
- Lemon grass-1 sprig
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Dried Coconut-1 tbsp (can be skipped)
- Coconut milk-200 gm-1 carton
- Chicken thighs sliced-2
- Oil-1/2 tsp
- Limon kaffir leaves-4-5
- Salt to taste
- Blend the first 6 ingredients to make a paste.
- Heat a pan on medium flame. Add the paste in the hot oil.
- Add the chicken and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, mushrooms and Kaffir leaves. Season with salt.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and voila it’s ready!
Raw Mango Salad
- Toasted cashews-5-6
- Julienned carrot-1
- Julienned zuchinni (green and yellow)-1 cup
- Julienned raw mango-half
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chili oil
- Mix the dressing and set aside.
- Using a peeler julienne peeler or use a regular peeler which would give you slightly broad strips.
- Put the veggies in iced water till you are ready to eat them to preserve the crispness.
- Combine the veggies and dressing and hog you way through it!
Whole30 quote “it’s not hard.dont you dare tell us this is hard.Quitting heroin is hard..Beating cancer is hard…Drinking your coffee black .IS .NOT.HARD”