My mom got a huge box of fresh figs from Pune when she came down to Bangalore..am not really a big fan of figs but she is..so I thought I will tart to make a tart for her…I had some dough left from the chocolate tart..
I came across many recipes online with frangipane…I had really no clue what is was and how it will come out but I decided to give it a go..Don’t go by the name really it’s just a paste of almonds in butter,egg and sugar..
Just a layer of this below the figs does wonders to the recipe. I doubt frangipane would really go this well with anything other than figs..The earthiness of the figs and the sweetness of almonds just make it devour-able(if that’s even a word!!)
What I finally took out of the oven after baking was amazingly delicious and fig-frangipane make an amazing combination. I think without the other they are pretty ok to taste..But together they form a brilliant dish!!
You can find the pastry recipe from chocolate tart post
1/4 cup of almonds
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup butter
- In a food processor-grind the almonds and sugar together.
- Add the melted butter and egg and whisk.that’s your frangipane.:D
- Make half the dough featured in the recipe in chocolate tart post
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a thin disc.
- Spread the frangipane on disc.
- Slice the figs and arrange it on top of the frangipane leaving 1 inch space at the outer edges.
- pinch the dough together from the sides and gather it around the figs like shown in the pic.
- Bake at 180 degrees in a preheated oven for around 20 minutes.
- once slightly cooled sprinkle some castor sugar on top.