The name is almost a conundrum right?
It should instead be nutritious Double Chocolate Chip Ragi Cookies.
Why do I say its Nutritious?Because it has
-Ragi(Finger Millet) and Whole Wheat flour* instead of Refined Flour(Maida)
-Jaggery Instead of Refined Sugar
Added Bonus-These are Eggfree and take 15 minutes to put together including the time taken for baking.
Ragi is quite a staple in the southern part of India.Its also one of the first foods given to babies because of its nutritious value.It’s an excellent source of natural iron and Calcium and because of its low glycemic index it also controls diabetes.It’s known as Nachni or Finger millet in other parts of India.
Finger Millet is a difficult grain to bake with but the health benefits are such that you want to incorporate this grain in your daily diet.Usually baking with Ragi results in a very sandy texture which crumbles the minute you bite into it(in a bad way).The taste is also not very palatable.
But these cookies are not the second rated option you have to adopt in the name of health.These are as delicious as they are healthy.
Crunchy on the outside and soft inside.Perfect for those lazy chais in the balcony and more importantly for your Childs tiffin box.
You can use jaggery, palm sugar or coconut sugar.The jaggery acts as a binding agent for these cookies so its important you don’t substitute it with refined sugar.Using coconut sugar gives it a dark decadent taste which enhances the chocolate in the cookie and if you can get your hands on it then its a better option.
Only downside while making these cookies are that they burn easily so you should be on a lookout for them from the 8th minute in the oven.The other important point of make or break is in the dough.It should be pliable and sticky enough to make soft balls.If your dough isn’t coming together but instead is very crumbly then either the butter-jaggery mix was too hot when you mixed it in or it just needs a little bit more milk.
Serves: 12 cookies
- 1 Cup Ragi Flour/Finger Millet Flour
- ¼ cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- ½ Cup Palm Sugar/Jaggery/Coconut Sugar
- ½ Cup Butter
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat the Oven to 180 degrees.
- In a saucepan ,heat the Jaggery and Butter together till its all liquid and all the jaggery lumps have dissolved.Add the Milk too.IMPORTANT-Do not Boil & Let this mixture cool down.
- In another bowl Mix together-Ragi flour,wheat flour, corn flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon Powder and Baking Powder.
- Slowly add the butter jaggery mix into the flour mix.Use a spatula to make a soft dough.
- Last add the chocolate chips.
- Make small balls and place on the cookie sheet/tray lined with parchment paper.Lightly press the cookie down.
- Bake in the preheater oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes till you see cracks on the cookie.
If you don't have parchment or baking paper lightly butter the tray you are using for baking.
These cookies don't spread or rise much so the shape you put on the sheet while baking will remain.
These cookies will Harden once out of the oven.
*By whole wheat flour I mean the flour I use to make everyday rotis and chapatis at home.(Ashiwrwad Mutligrain Aata)