If you want to make a healthy loaf or a cake , banana loaf is a great option but I wanted to explore the world beyond bananas.I wanted to create a recipe with whole everyday ingredients which could be molded whichever way I wanted. This recipe is exactly that.It uses whole wheat multigrain flour and oats and no refined flour.I substituted the fat from butter or vegetable oil to that of coconut oil. For sweetness I have added jaggery which is unprocessed sugar.If you don’t find jaggery you can use brown sugar too.I could have used sugarfree or stevia but I am not a big believer of artificial sugar.I think they give you false security which makes you eat more than you would when you know there is sugar in something.
Let’s face it if you are a diabetic or on a diet then you have to be aware of what you are eating.There is no point substituting natural foods with synthetic agents because I think they anyways add up one way or another.What you can do is be aware of what you are eating and make sure what you consume is natural and you are in control
This recipe uses everyday ingredients to make a delicious light low calorie loaf made with whole and unrefined ingredients.You can use the same recipe and incorporate other fruits like apple and cherries.
I used figs cause my mom loves this fruit and its in season here in bangalore.Moreover its a diabetic friendly loaf so my dad who has been a diabetic(extremely controlled) for the past 25 years could also eat it.So I Fig(ured) that she would be super excited about this cake.
Fig is a great fruit for people with digestive issues as it contains a ton of soluble fibre.They are also high in antioxidants.
Serves: 1 loaf
- 1½ cup multigrain whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 3 eggs
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- ½ cup jaggery powder or brown sugar or white sugar(add ½ cup more if you want it sweeter)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup cut figs +3 for decoration
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl except the milk-yoghurt,eggs,vanilla essence.
- Add the jaggery powder
- Mix all the dry ingredients-whole wheat flour,oats,baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- Add half the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and combine.Add rest of the dry ingredients and milk to it and combine.
- Add the chopped up figs.combine well.
- Pour the mixture in a prepared loaf pan and bake for 15 minutes or till the batter has sufficiently risen.
- Take it out of the oven and gently place the figs on top and press.
- Bake for another 30 minutes till a skewer or knife inserted comes out clean.
These are some of the products I used in making of this bread