Most store bought protein powders have isolated proteins which helps you gain muscle mass and complete your daily protein requirement.But have you ever wondered how are these powders so high on protein but extremely low on the other macros?A little research will tell you that these protein powders are highly processed to remove the other ingredients such as fats, fibre and carbs so that a small amount of powder provides large amount of protein.
Do you remember the whole wheat movement?There are so many documentaries made on how whole of America was suffering from lack of nutrients and basic macros which were removed while processing the wheat to make it into all purpose flour(maida).If removing the bran and germ from wheat to make all purpose flour , removes all its nutrients and makes it empty, I can’t imagine what removing fat, fibre and carbs from naturally available nuts and whey to make concentrated protein would be doing to these ingredients.
And what about addition of unpronounceable ingredients in those powders to stabilise,texturize and flavour them?
I decided to ditch the store-bought protein powders and make one on my own.This protein powder though work in progress is a small step towards making a healthy nutrient rich protein supplement which is unprocessed, natural and totally free of crazy ingredients.
Before you read the recipe let me say a few things upfront.
- Please consult your doctor before consuming this if you have diabetes,heart disease, allergies or are pregnant.
- I don’t promise crazy a lean, muscled body.
- This is not a meal replacement powder
For 1 tbsp or 20 grams contains approximately
Protein -4.3 grams
Carbohydrates 4.7 grams
Serves: 500 gas
Serving size: 20 g
- Chia Seeds-150 gms
- Sunflower Seeds-50 gms
- Hemp Seeds-100 gms
- Pumpkin Seeds-50 gas
- Almonds-200 gms
- Flax Seeds-20 gms
- Lightly toast all the ingredients in oven or in a flat bottomed pan.
- Let the mixture cool completely.This step is important otherwise while grinding these the mixture will become into a butter instead of a powder.
- Pulse the mixture in your food processor.Remember not to over grind it otherwise the nuts and seeds will release their natural oils and become a nut butter instead.
- Store in an air tight jar.
If you have any suggestions then please leave a message.I would love to improve on my recipe.