My friends in college were the ones who literally threw me blind into the world of non vegetarian food! Every time we ate out, they would order these yummy looking exotic dishes and I had to eat my cauliflower in silence!!! Back then I never envisioned myself eating prawn ,leave alone cook it.
But I love prawns now and I want to thank these 6 girls for it. I still remember the first time I ate tiger prawns back in 2003, it’s etched in my brain. We were sitting on our hostel room floor surrounded by 3 ugly metal bunk beds ,with barely enough space to accommodate 6 butts, gorging on amazing Bengali treats straight from my friends mom’s kitchen in Calcutta!We got one gigantic tiger prawn each and i was hooked.
Today I have made the Kerala version of prawn curry with coconut milk and kokum.Don’t get too hassled if you can’t find kokum,Tamarind or plain old lemon juice also work well with this dish.You can also replace the prawn with any kind of white fish pieces and call it fish curry!
When cooking prawns , whether it is fresh or frozen, you have to be careful.Make sure that the prawn is deveined otherwise you will end up with the most awful stomach ache and a 2 day free stay in your toilet!
- Medium sized Prawns deveined & cleaned 500 gms
- Coconut milk-200 ml
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Oil-1 tsp
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Turmeric-1 tsp
- Fresh Red or Green Chilli-2-chopped
- Salt to taste or 1½ tsp
- Onion-1 large-chopped
- Curry leaves-10-15 leaves
- Kokum-2 pieces/Tamarind pulp-1 tbsp/Lemon juice-1 tbsp
- Pepper-1 tsp(optional)
- Heat a pot on medium flame. Add the oil.Heat for 5 seconds
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin.When they start to splutter add the curry leaves.chilli and garlic.Saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the onion and sauté till they are light brown or golden.This should take 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cleaned prawn,Coconut milk and kokum or tamarind or lemon juice.Add ¼ cup of water.
- Season with salt and pepper.Add turmeric.
- Bring it to boil and cook till the prawns turn orange.
Eat it as a soup like i did or with rice and pappadam like my husband!:D