Who could have thought orange could compete with chocolate?But it can and how?! If chocolate cake is the deep dark secret then this is the bright sunny morning.If chocolate is the yin then this is the yang.Equally decadent in the most opposite way!
I present to you a simple Orange Pound Cake with an orange glaze.Let me warn you first thought.Make lots of it.Dont even think of making half the recipe cause for sure nothing would be left by the time your guests arrive.I speak from experience!
It’s a cake so humble in its name and looks but the taste is out of the world!
I usually avoid glazes on cakes but this cake becomes something else when glazed so definitely definitely put in some extra effort to glaze the cake.
As for the baking process.I baked it in a budnt pan but you can use any pan you want but please please as with any recipe keep checking the cake midway.Every oven is different so always check the cake midway from outside and see whether its burning or not.If its burning from the top or it’s too brown but is uncooked inside you need to cover the cake with aluminium foil and cook more.If the cake has not cooked after the stipulated time in the recipe cook for 10 more minutes and check the cake.
- 8 Ounces /1 cup Butter At room Temperature
- 21/4 cups Sugar
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour or maida
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Curd+1/4 cup water or ¾ cup butter milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- Zest of 2 oranges(1 tbsp)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cups Caster Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- ½ tbsp Orange Zest
- In a large bowl,Cream the butter with a whisk or a hand whiske till it turns pale.
- Add the sugar and again whisk till the sugar crystals start to dissolve and it looks like a very light yellow paste.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour,baking powder,cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk and the orange juice.
- Add the juice mixture and the flour mixture to the creamed butter alternatively and combine.Add the vanilla extract and the orange zest.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 40-50 minutes till the skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooked,take out of the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Gently transfer to a wire rack and cool till at room temperature.
- Sift the caster sugar.
- Whisk the caster sugar,orange zest and orange juice till you get a thick glaze.
- Once the cake has cooled pour over it.
I used freshly squeezed orange juice for this cake but you can use store bought orange juice also but adjust the sugar accordingly.
I have used the below products for making of this cake which can be easily bought online in india.