My search for healthy snacks led me to this recipe of Ragi Chocolate Chip Cookies. I ordered a few “healthy” snacks online and let’s just say it was a giant disappointment!
When I placed the order I expected a box of ragi cookies but what I received was two cookies dipped in chocolate. It sure did taste good and it was labeled as healthy so even though I wasn’t happy with the quantity I was okay with it overall….Till I read the ingredients.
It did have ragi but it also had refined flour and refined sugar so I don’t know why it was tagged as “healthy”. That’s when I decided to make my own Ragi Chocolate Chip Cookies .I adapted Sanjeev Kapoor’s ragi biscuit recipe with some changes and I really loved them.
These cookies were my life savior along with my Healthy Oat & Raisin Cookies and Healthy Buckwheat Cookies.I recently travelled with baby V alone for the first time to Pune and in the whole packing and running to catch the flight I forgot to eat breakfast and these cookies literally saved me a ton of agony, I would have been in for skipping breakfast. These also were the first thing I ate when I came back home after a week and they tasted better than they did fresh.The moral here being that you can store these Ragi Chocolate Chip Cookies for at least 10 days(tried and tested!).
I halved the sugar and replaced it with jaggery or raw sugar. This recipe can be easily tweaked to suit babies and kids.
- ½ cup Ragi/Finger Millet flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour(I used multigrain flour)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup Chilled Butter cup into cubes
- ¼ cup Jaggery/brown sugar/raw sugar
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ tsp Vanilla essence
- Chilled Milk as required.(Add in 1 tbsp increments)
- Combine the flours,baking powder and sugar.
- Add vanilla essence to this mixture.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture.Use your fingers and thumb and rub the butter and flour in between your fingers.
- Continue doing so till the butter is almost incorporated coarsely into the flour.It should look clumpy.
- Add milk and chocolate chips knead the butter-flour mixture.Do not over knead but just combine everything together.
- Cover in cling wrap or in a bowl with a lid.Keep in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a spoon the mixture on a baking tray or sheet.
- Bake at preheated oven for 12 minutes at 180 degrees C.
I used the below products for making this recipe.You can easily find it on amazon through the below link.