I am overwhelmed with the kind comments and encouragements I have received for this cake in a matter of few hours.You guys are the best!
If you have been following me ,then you know that I have been celebrating my son’s monthly milestones by baking a special cake.I spend countless hours every month researching for the perfect recipe to make a special cake for him.(which he can’t really eat but you get the drift!)
This month’s two shortlisted cakes were a chocolate spice cake and an Indian fusion Saffron cake.I did make the chocolate spice cake for our Diwali party.It was very decadently dark ,rich ,chocolatey cake with nutmeg, cloves,star anise and cinnamon but I don’t have any photos as proof..only about 15 happy bellies which demolished the cake.So I will have to remake the cake at some point and share the recipe.
This is the cake which I created to mark the 8th month milestone for my son!I know I sound repetitive (but I know all moms would understand) but he has become so big! Honestly life has become so much more amazing after him!
The sponge is a basic hot milk cake-my goto cake for the moment! I have infused it with lots of green cardamom and saffron.I have made an eggless version because of the festivals but you can add 2 eggs instead of the yogurtThe cake in itself is also great but it you want to take it up a few thousand levels please do the white chocolate ganache.
The ganache is my own recipe and its the easiest thing you could do to this cake.It literally takes a minute of your time and its ready.You need only condensed milk, white chocolate and flavouring.In this cake saffron and cardamom.
This cake is sort of like a love child of Rabri and Rasmalai.:D
Serves: ½ KG
- 1½ cup purpose Flour /Maida
- 1½ Tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs or ¼ cup Yogurt
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ tsp Almond Essence
- 1 tsp Saffron strands
- 2 Pods Green Cardamom
- White Chocolate Glaze
- 200 grams or ½ Tin Condensed Milk/Evaporated Milk/Mithai Mate
- 50 grams of white Chocolate
- 2-3 pods of cardomom
- few strands of Saffron
- 2 Drops of yellow color
- 5 tbsp crushed Rose Chikki
- Few Strands of Saffron
- Mix the Flour,baking soda and powder and set aside
- Heat the milk and butter till the temperature is just above what you would be comfortable touching.
- Let the butter melt.Add the Saffron strands,Cardamom & vanilla.
- In a Bowl beat or whisk together the eggs/Yogurt and sugar till the mixture turns pale and sugar is well incorporated.
- Add the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture slowly(trickle it in).Make sure the milk is not too hot or boiling as it would curdle the eggs.Mix well.
- Add in the flour mixture next and combine well.
- Pour the batter in a prepared tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees or till the skewer comes out clean.If the cake seems to be browning too much but is uncooked from inside cover it with aluminium foil and continue baking for another 5-10 minutes.
- White Chocolate Ganache
- Heat the condensed milk in a sauce pan along with cardamom and saffron on medium low heat.Keep stirring or the condensed milk will start burning.
- Once you see bubbles forming switch the gas off and add chopped white chocolate.
- Add 1-2 drops of yellow color to give it a glow.(Can be skipped).
- Stir the hot mixture till the chocolate is fully incorporated.Let it cool and come to room temperature before pouring on the cake.
- Garnish the cake with crushed chikki and saffron strands.