I am not much of a salad person.I just have never liked them by themselves as much.It feels too extreme to just eat just salad.Even after eating a whole Caesar salad from Big Chill in Delhi I would feel like I was on a diet!It was definitely not diet food, it was at least 800 calories with all that cheese !I prefer sautéed veggies more. I decided to brave it and make an Avocado Spinach salad and cause it seemed too little I added a poached egg!
Poached egg has been my nemesis for way too long for comfort. I have heard that any self-respecting cook knows how to poach an egg and I want to be self-respecting too!!!
Well ,I watched Jamie oliver on TV casually making 4 poached eggs and decided to battle it again..This time with the help of dear old Jamie! I think the trick is not to care too much about how the pot looks when you cook the egg.There is a chance that out of 4 eggs you put in , 1-2 will not perform the way you want them to and will probably frolic around all over the pot. It kinda looks gross.But ignore it for the first 3 minutes and then check.if you are lucky ,the peer pressure from the other eggs might have made the bad eggs behave..if not then chuck them and concentrate on the ones that have come out well!:D
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Heat a pan with enough water to be able to fully submerge the egg.Add the salt.
- Break an egg in a small bowl.Keep the egg yolk intact.
- When the water starts to simmer(just before boiling) GENTLY glide the egg in the water.The flame should be at medium high now.
- If you like the yolk to be really runny take the egg out after 2 minutes.if you like it to be a little more firm,let it cook for 3 minutes.
Spinach Avocado Salad
- Baby Spinach-1 cup
- Red Cabbage-1/2 cup shredded.
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Chilli Flakes-1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil-1 tsp
- Salt to taste(1 tsp)
- Blitz the avocado,garlic,olive oil,chilli flakes and salt in a food processor.
- Combine the baby spinach,red cabbage and the dressing.
- Top the salad with the poached egg and serve!