Eggless Fresh Mango Cake is the special dessert I made for baby V’s second monthly birthday though at that time I was more interested in taking the baby’s picture than of the cake.I have since made some adjustments and edits to the previous recipe and this recipe has been taste tested in the kitchen several times.
At that time I topped the cake with whipped cream and mango chunks but I think it was an overkill.The cake really doesn’t need any adornment except maybe for a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a spoonful of fresh mangoes.
I am not going to say this is celebrating the King of Mangoes because lately I have been celebrating Mangoes a lot!I have recently made a lot of Mango Pannacottas ,Mango Chia Puddings & Mango & Jalapeno Crab. I am also working on a No Churn Three ingredient Mango Ice Cream and a Mango Cheesecake made with homemade ricotta or paneer.I promise to test and post these recipes soon.
The Cake recipe is can be used to make basic Eggless Sponges and you can mix and match the fruit.I made a Banana version using the cake recipe and also a Mango Blueberry Cake with an insane Mango glaze !
This Eggless Fresh Mango Cake is super moist ,almost a blonde version of my Chocolate Mud Cake.I usually cut the mangoes into 1 inch squares because if they are smaller they will disintegrate and if they are bigger, the mangoes will melt and make the cake pudgy.The easiest way to achieve this is to cut the mango along the seed and make criss cross incisions, using a spoon scoop out the squares.You can see them in the picture.
The Types of Mangoes you use in the cake will determine the final flavour.If they are tart then the cake will take a sweet-sour taste – sort of like the lemon cake but if they are ripe the cake will taste more sweet.
If you like this cake recipe and are looking for more such recipes using fruit Do check out my Saffron & Cardamom Cake,Flourless Chocolate Cake, Coconut Cake with Banana Curd & Cherry & Orange Pound Cake
Serves: 1 kg
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1½ Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1½ Cup Yogurt/Curd
- 1 Cup Milk + 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1½ Cup Sugar(I like mine less sweet, add only 1 cup)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups of Mangoes-Diced
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine all the wet ingredients-curd,oil,vanilla extract and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix the baking powder,soda and flour together.
- Take half the flour mixture and mix well with the wet ingredients. Once incorporated add the rest and mix well.
- Add diced mango
- Pour the batter in a prepared pan. Bake at 180 degree for 40 minutes uncovered.Cover with foil and continue baking for another 20 minutes.Test the cake with a skewer,If it comes out clean(or with crumbs) remove from the oven or keep baking for 10-15 minute more.
- Cool the cake and top with whipped cream or sliced mangos as desired.
Variations of Eggless Fresh Mango Cake
The kind of Mango you use to make this cake will have a big impact on taste and final texture.As I have said on top, this is a basic eggless sponge cake recipe which can be utilised in tonnes of ways!
Use other fresh fruits like Banana,Blueberries,Strawberries or use chocolate chips or caramel to give your own beautiful twist to this amazing basic recipe.