I have such a writers block lately that every time I start writing I only end up penning down a string of gibberish. It could be because we are planning our holiday to Thailand and there is little else I can think about.
Thankfully, the block doesn’t extend to cooking otherwise I would really be in a fix now..though it would help me fit into my vacation clothes which I horde in anticipation of a holiday all year long.The only issue being, when the holiday actually comes along I always end up wanting to buy new clothes cause you know -vacation.
Anyhow I don’t want to overwhelm you with my vacation qualms.Here is a Thai inspired Noodles cause yayie! I am going to Thailand finally!
These are easy to put together and can be tweaked endlessly.If you like them soupy-double the amount of coconut milk.Though its easy to get thai ingredients in india now, it’s still a trip to the speciality store.I usually end up with far more than I can use so I freeze it for later use.Bird eye chillies, galangal and kafir lime leaves are all easily tossed in the freezer and so much more reachable to treat any of your emergency thai cravings.
Offcourse,feel free to substitute.Use our indian lime rind and lime leaves if you cant find kaffir lime leaves.Substitute rice noodles with any other kind in the pantry.What I mean is,don’t let a few ingredients ruin your party!
Serves: 2 cups
- 100 ml Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 Thumb Ginger
- 2 Kafir Lime Leaves/ Lime Rind
- 250 Gms Shrimp/Prawn Cleaned
- ½ Cup Green Onion Whites
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Whole Fresh Red chillies/1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cups Rice Noodles-Soaked in water as per packet instructions
- Crushed Toasted Peanuts
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Spring onion greens
- Heat oil on high,in a pan or wok big enough to accommodate all the ingredients.
- Add the ginger,Slit red chillies and white part of green onions.Saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Once the shrimp seems cooked-(clue-they turn pink,)Add the coconut milk,kaffir lime leaves,turmeric,fish sauce and soy sauce.
- Season with salt.
- Add the hydrated rice noodles and gently mix with tongs or a spatula till all the sauce covers the noodles.
- Divide them into two bowls.Garnish with the peanuts, sesame seeds, green part of spring onions and serve hot.