Till now there was only one way that I liked bananas…Kerala Banana chips…I like them so much that I buy a pack from the supermarket..Eat half of it on the way home…and ask my hubby to hide the other half so that I don’t gobble the rest of it!!! That’s the reason why I sometimes find them in the weirdest of places!!!!..:D… But now…I have just succeeded in making banana bread with dried black grapes which I just can’t resist!!
I am a biggg fan of black grapes!!That’s my most favorite fruit ever!!!!Sometime back I chanced upon dried black grapes…and I bought 250 gms of it…which in hindsight I realize is absolutely not enough!!!They turn juicy and mushy in the banana bread! The combination of banana, dried black grapes and cinnamon just kills it for me!!!Nothing more I could ask for!!It was perfection the first time I made it!
Looking at the ingredients you can see it’s the healthiest cake you will ever find! There is just 2 tablespoons of butter…Most of the moisture comes from the yogurt and the puree…I wonder now if the banana puree can be replaced with strawberry..Or maybe butter fruit or mango!!!Maybe instead of black grapes I could use some dried figs! I will have to try it and let you know…
Now about the technique…There is none…I just put two medium-sized bananas, yogurt, egg and egg white with vanilla essence in my food processor and churned it.It becomes like a smoothie…Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and then add whichever dried fruit u like..And bake bake!!:D..One thing to note here is that half way through I had to put foil on the top otherwise the top would have got burnt…So bake for 20 minutes without the foil and rest of the time with foil.
½ cup yoghurt
2 table-spoon of melted butter
1 cup banana puree (2 medium bananas)
250 grams dried black grapes
1 ½ cups flour
1 table-spoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup sugar
1 egg white
1. Make a puree of the bananas. Add butter, yoghurt, egg, egg white and vanilla essence. Combine well.
2. In a bowl mix the baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and flour.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry and combine well. Add the dried black grapes and combine again.
4. Prepare a bread pan and spray it with cooking spray.
5. Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle a few dried black grapes on top of the batter. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Take it out and put a foil over it so that the top doesn’t burn but the inside cooks. Bake for another 20 minutes.
7. Cool as it is for 10 minutes. Take it out of the tin and cool on the cooling rack.