I don’t know what it is but a crumble always takes me right back to my childhood.I can tell you I felt like a little child licking the bowl clean when I was done with this Cherry & Rhubarb Crumble.
There is something so comforting about eating a crumble.It has everything -the tartness from the fruits – cherry & rhubarb in this case,crispness from the crumble and creaminess from the ice-cream or whipped cream.It’s infact ,the perfect no fuss dessert at the end of a hearty dinner.I usually serve the crumble warm with a dollop of ice cream which adds another dimension to this already amazing dish.
I love making it in my kitchen because this doesn’t need any special knowledge or skill.It’s a such a simple yet deeply rewarding dessert which I make so so often.
Crumble is the most perfect no fuss dessert
Variations of a Crumble
I have used fresh cherries & Rhubarb for this crumble but you can really use any other stone fruit or berries in the same quantity.
The tartness from the stone fruits transforms into a deep sweetness when baked and oozes such a beautiful full-bodied Burgundy sauce which is so characteristic with these beautiful seasonal fruits.
If you love crumbles, do take a look at my healthy Cherry & Plum Muesli Crumble recipe too.You will love it!
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 Cups of Fruit- Cherries,Plums or Rhubarb- stone/seed removed-cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp +1/4 Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Flour
- ½ cup Oats
- ¼ Cup Melted Butter
- Preheat the Oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Mix the diced fruit with 1 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp sugar.Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the ½ cup flour, oats,1/4 cup sugar and melted butter.
- Mix the ingredients with your hands, try and make everything wet.If required add more butter 1 tbsp at a time.
- Layer the fruit on the bottom of the baking tin.
- Add the crumble layer on the top- Do this roughly- Do not make it too perfect or press it down too much.
- Once the whole surface is covered, bake it in the oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or till the top is golden and you can see a bit of sauce bubbling on the top.
- Let is cool slightly before serving with ice cream.
More deserts that you MUST try!