You are consciously not aware of it but your mind has associated smells with certain events and locations.Its deeply entrenched in your memories.Today morning when I was making my coffee(thankyou Arvind Shanker!) I was almost instantly transported back to this small library in R A Puram,Chennai which used to be my frequent haunt in 10 th std. I used to borrow and eat 5 books a week and that’s when my school was crazy strict and gave not buckets but tub full of homework! There was a coffee beans grinding shop right next to it and even before I really started appreciating coffee this smell was a part of my history with Chennai. Old romance novels and coffee smell is what I first associated Chennai with!
But more on the actual dish really! I was inspired by a picture of a similar egg tower on instagram https://www.instagram.com/whatiateforbreakfast/ and I couldn’t stop dreaming about it.
I have wanted to make a breakfast egg tower for a few weeks since laying my eyes on that picture.I bought two avocados to try to make something like this which was whole 30 and paleo compliant.I didn’t wait for enough time before I cut open the first avocado which turned out raw.I made several meals with runny eggs waiting for my second avocado to ripen.The one below is of egg noodles with peanut sauce garnished with a sunny side up.
My patience was not rewarded.When i cut the second avocado open after waiting for it to ripen for a week it still turned out unripe.Luckily, I had just read about a trick to ripen an avocado in 10 minutes by baking it in an oven covered in foil.And voila! it worked well enough for me to attempt this.
I had an extravaganza for breakfast today! I have never appreciated runny egg as I did this morning.I was so inspired by it that I decided to make a second breakfast.:D.More on that on the next post though.
You can substitute Portobello mushroom with a bread or mashed potatoes.
If you don’t have a suitable mold then I suggest use a good old bowl.
Serves: 1 serving
- Egg-at room temp
- Medium Avocado-hopefully ripe
- Cherry tomatoes or normal tomatoes-1 tbsp chopped.
- Portobello mushroom(hopefully the size of the mold)
- Salt to taste
- Chilli Flakes
- Vegetable or Olive Oil-1 tsp
- Mash the avocado and add tomatoes.Add a pinch of salt.
- Place the avocado mash on the plate with the help of the tin mold.
- Brush the mushroom with oil and Bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.Alternatively pan fry it for 5-6 minutes. Place on top of the avocado mash.
- Heat a pan for the sunny side up egg.Place the mold(Use the same mold) on the pan.Brush the inside with oil.After about 5-6 seconds break the egg inside the mold. Cook at medium heat for 2-4 minutes depending on how runny you like your egg.
- To free the egg from the mold-Run a knife through the edge of the mold and egg.Place the egg gently on the mushroom.
- Season with salt and chilli flakes.