Muffin is something we eat on the go, without thinking or spending much time on deciding its merits and demerits and that’s the reason it’s important that a homemade muffin is made with healthier ingredients than with rather more weightier and more processed counterparts.These Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins are made with 100% whole wheat flour, the same flour used to make chapatis at home and the sweetness comes from jaggery as opposed to white or brown sugar.
Both these ingredients are less processed and a whole lot more nutrient heavy that their processed cousins and hence they are my choice of baking ingredients, especially when I am making something casual and non celebertory.
Though these Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins don’t have the traditional ingredients, as with most of my other whole wheat and whole grain recipes, these muffin is wonderfully light and fluffy.
Variations of Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins
I want to talk about lemon here.In india,we usually only get lime which is very different from the lemon used in desserts.Though this recipe can be made with lemon or lime, but one needs to do so consciously.A lime is half the size of a typical yellow lemon and hence while substituting, be careful of measurements.
The blueberry here can be substituted with strawberries, grapes,any other regional berries or even raisins in a pinch.
If you don’t have a Muffin Pan then you have a few options.You can bake this in a normal cake tin which will increase the baking time to about 30-40 minutes or you could make these in paper cups.
Tips to Make the Best Whole Wheat Lemon & Blueberry Muffin.
Unlike other recipes, you don’t need to bring the butter to room temperature here cause we will be heating it along with the milk.
Do not ever bake in a cold oven,make sure you preheat the oven before baking these.Muffins bake fast because of their small size thats a reason you need to be vigilant about checkin on them from 15 minutes onwards.Use your judgement while baking because every oven differs and the exact timings can change based on several factors-including the size of the muffin tin, actual temperature of the oven, size of the oven, position of the muffin rack.
Serves: 9 Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat the milk on medium flame.Add the butter and jaggery to it.Let it come to a bubble and switch the heat off.
- Let the milk mixture cool.
- Meanwhile,Mix in the baking powder, baking soda and the whole wheat flour in a bowl separetly.
- Break two eggs in a bowl and whisk.Trickle in the whisked eggs to the hot(but not boiling) milk mixture slowly and fold in.If there are any jaggery lumps, make sure to press them with he back of your spoon and mix well.
- Once the eggs have been folded, tip over the dry ingredients and fold.
- Next,Add 2 tsp vanilla essence and the Lemon Juice.
- Fold in the blueberries. Pour the batter in a prepared Muffin Pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20-23 minutes till the skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.