I went out to buy some grocerie today..First of all , how is it that I am always out of staples in phases because of which I am forced to go to the supermarket multiple times in a week.Today I had to buy onions and I somehow spent Rs 3400! I am burning a hole in my wallet just buying groceries!
While strolling along the aisle I came across a 200 ml packaged almond milk catron.I was so excited seeing it, it was green in color and said “Natural” in big bold black and then I turned it to read the ingredients.Except almonds and salt everything else was at least 8 syllables long and totally unpronounceable! My uncle, who is a chemistry professor will also not be able to pronounce these words!Oh and I almost forgot!! You have to pay Rs 70 for it!
What a let down.Why would anybody buy an overpriced carton of chemical almond milk!!My dream of making a nice almond milk-blueberry smoothie with cherries was totally smashed!
For those who don’t know,Almond milk is the best lactose-free substitute for milk. If you are lactose intolerant then this is the best alternative for you. Other than the obvious issues with milk please read why you should limit your milk drinking below.
Some of my posts that use this almond milk are
Chia Pudding with tropical fruits and walnuts
Serves: 3 cups
- Almonds-1 cups
- Water-2 cups
- Soak the almonds in water overnight.Refrigerate this.
- Next day drain the water and blitz the almonds with 2-3 tablespoons of water in a food processor.The key here is to take your time with this(atleast 10-15 minutes) till the almonds are a fine paste.The finer the paste richer will be the milk.
- Get a sieve,place a pot under it.Dump the contents of the food processor in the seive. Add the rest of the water half a cup at a time and using a spatula or a spoon force the mixture through the sieve.
- Make sure to scrape the bottom of the seive.
- What you get is medium thickness fresh homemade almond milk.You can add more or less water as per your requirements