Here is introducing you to the most recent love of my culinary life-Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate frosting.
Bangalore is pouring, the heavens have finally listened and bestowed upon us some relief from the horrid heat in the form of angry lashing rains.So we are sitting duck inside our houses because to venture out would mean getting stuck in traffic with an energetic 1 year old who will really drive us crazy.
I have been thinking of ways to amuse myself and make decadent stuff at home so I don’t get temped to step out.That’s a serious downside of cooking btw..especially if you can manage to make decently good food,random restaurants from swiggy don’t cut it.
This delicious Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting along with the Extremely Decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake are my recent indulgent obsessions.If you don’t like buttercream, you can frost the cake with Ganache instead.I have written a detailed post on how to make the ganache of your dreams –here
This cake is a super fudgy Peanut butter cake with a Chocolate buttercream frosting.This is a purist and a super rich cake which I won’t make for everyday tea but this recipe will definitely be fished out of all important birthdays and anniversaries..It’s a celebration cake.
Chocolate and Coffee might be soulmates but peanut butter and chocolate are BFFs.
The peanut butter I have used in this recipe is homemade-Without any added sugar.Do check out my homemade peanut butter recipe on the blog.Though if you want to use store bought peanut butter I would suggest you decrease the white sugar a little so that the cake isn’t too saccharine.
Also Buttercream frosting tends to be a little on the sweet side, hence if you are frosting it, the cake should be under sweetened. Atleast that’s the way I prefer it.
This cake has the best of all the worlds- Butter & Oil-which gives it a fantastic taste and crumb while making it super moist like oil cakes.The Mix of light and brown sugar also deepens the flavour and color. The buttermilk -usually 1:1 ratio of yogurt and water makes the cake light and moist and quite fudgy.
On another note, how many of you guys love peanut butter?I am mad about peanut butter.I have loads of peanut butter recipes on the blog-Do check out Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies ,Peanut Butter Chocochip Oat Squares & my Peanut Butter & Chocolate Bundt Cake
Variations of Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting
You can also use almond or seed butter instead of peanut butter for this cake.This is a super moist cake so if you want you can leave the frosting all together.
Recipe Credits: https://food52.com
Serves: 1 kg Cake
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk-1/2 Cup yogurt +1/2 Cup water
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter-At room Temperature-Soft
- 1½ Cups of Confectioners Sugar/Icing Sugar-Sifted**
- ¼ Cup Cocoa-Sifted**
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1½ tbsp Milk/Cream
- Whip the butter with a hand mixer/stand mixer till it changes color to pale yellow.
- Add sifter sugar,salt,Vanilla extract,milk and cocoa.First incorporate with a spatula so that the dry confectioners sugar and cocoa doesn't fly everywhere.
- Whip it together with a hand or stand mixer for about 10-15 minutes while scrapping the sides and bottom with a soft spatula.
- Heat the butter in a pan.Once it has melted add the peanut butter and oil-Whisk till smooth.Set aside to cool.
- Next break the eggs in a large bowl.Add the sugar,Baking soda,Salt,Baking powder and sugar.Whisk together with a electric hand whisker or in a stand machine.This takes 5-8 minutes.
- Now trickle in the peanut butter-oil-butter mixture slowly, all the while whisking.Mix till incorporated.
- Add half the flour,Mix.Add in the butter milk and mix.Add rest of the flour.
- Fold everything together-Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees.Test with a toothpick.If it comes out clean remove the cake from the oven.If the toothpick has wet batter stuck to it,Bake for another 10 minutes.
Other decadent cakes you will love!!