One warning before you go on to make this dish ,till I am still smarting with the chillies I put in the salad.This salad absorbs everything you put in it and enhances the flavours many fold so don’t be trigger happy with the red chillies like I was!
My usual foray into Star Bazaar to buy tomatoes ended up with me spending Rs 700.But this time I was smart.I saw a raw papaya tagged as Rs 350 in the “exotic” aisle and just as I was reaching for it I decided to curtail my budget,after all I have already spent this month’s budget last month so I am literally a pauper at the moment.Well , as in the typical hindi movie style scene I turned in slow motion and found myself staring at a normal good old papaya which the south indian grandma’s use , ever so often in their sambhar and decided to go for it.What did i have to lose anyways!it was for Rs 20!
So here I was ,armed with a new mandolin(all for Rs 170 from star bazaar) and the raw papaya and off I went grating it into oblivion.Mixed with one carrot and a good old sprinkling of the easiest dressing ever made and voila! Behold Raw Papaya Salad!
- Raw Papaya(green in color)-2 cups-grated
- Carrot-1 cup-grated
- Mint Leaves-10
- Fish sauce-1 tbsp(substitute with soy sauce to make the vegetarian version)
- Lemon Juice-2 tbsp(1 whole lemon)
- Brown Sugar-1/2 tbsp(substitute with coconut sugar to make it Paleo approved)
- Salt(i used pink himalayan salt)-1/2 tsp
- Chillies-1(i used two)
- Coriander Sprigs-5-6
- Lemon wedges-2-4
- Roasted Peanuts/Cashews-6-8
- Put the dressing together.Taste and adjust the sugar/salt according to your taste.
- Mix the papaya,carrot and mint leaves together.Sprinkle with the dressing and mix.
- Garnish with cashews and coriander.