This is the most nifty magic trick up my sleeve. It’s an all purpose soup cum sauce.I always have some of this frozen in my fridge for an instant sauce. This simple soup has a million uses.You can make it into a Shorba- an indian soup by adding the quintessential tadka of cumin and chillies or make it italian by adding a dollop of pesto or cook your chicken breast in it. You can reduce it on the stove and with a splash of milk or cream and some herbs you can turn it into a pasta sauce!Most indian curries are tomato based so you can make a neat chicken curry or a Shahi Paneer with little milk.
You can throw in anything from couple of carrots to radishes along with tomatoes you have wasting away in your fridge in this. I add coriander stalks in it sometimes or a bit of lentil to make it thick.
- Salt to taste
- Boil or pressure cook all the ingredients with 1 cup of water.
- Once everything is cooked let it cool for a while.
- Blitz with a hand blender or a food processor.
Add a dollop of the pesto sauce and slurp slurp
- Basil-1 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil-1/4 cup
- Almonds/pine nuts or walnuts-1/4 cup
- Parmesan cheese-1/4 cup(I skipped this)
- Blend all the above in a food processor.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.