Is there another ingredient which transforms itself into so many avatars than an egg? Scrambled,poached,boiled,soft-boiled,fried.
It’s magical how one small little egg can be made in so many diverse ways.Every region has an egg speciality like the All American Eggs Benedict,Chinese Fermented Eggs,Parsi Akoori,Tamil Style Mutta Curry,Turkish Eggs,is there an egg butter masala?there should be!
I have recently become a fan of Eggs Benedict.We had Eggs Benedict as breakfast at 5.45 am just before heading back to india from Malaysia.
The Eggs we are talking about today is a Turkish recipe.I first came across these a few months back with Nigella Lawson posted the recipe on Instagram and I couldn’t believe that yogurt and eggs could be had together but when Nigella says its great then it has to be great.So we went headfirst into making this recipe.
Obviously she was not wrong! This is a kind of dish you want to have curled up on your sofa with the blanket wrapped around you and little marshmallows melting in your hot chocolate by your side.
The short version of this recipe is poached eggs in warm thick yogurt with chilli.The long version is given below.
But before you close the window cause poached eggs is not your thing because the darn eggs just don’t want to get poached try doing it the following way and tell me if it works..or doesn’t work..
First-Heat your water in a deep pan.The water should be at least 2 egg lengths.
Second-Break your egg in a bowl.Take care not to break the yolk.Sprinkle 1 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice on the egg whites.
Third-When the water is simmering-not boiling-not harsh bubbles but when the water is steaming and has very light movement.Tip the egg in the water.
Fourth-Wait for 3-4 minutes.Use a slotted spoon and gently take the egg out of the water.
Voila your poached Egg is ready!!
Serves: 1 serving
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 100 ml Yogurt
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Sumac
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Butter
- Heat a pot of water.In a heatproof bowl(I prefer borosilicate or steal) add the yogurt.
- Place the bowl with yogurt on top of the simmering water(the bottom not touching the water)
- Keep whisking the yogurt and you will see it thicken and warm up slightly.Keep doing this for about 5 minutes and then remove from the heat.Add Salt.
- Use the same pot of boiling water-reduce the heat so that the water is simmering and not boiling.
- Break an egg in a ramekin or a small bowl.Sprinkle the vinegar on top of the egg as Nigela says-aiming for the white.
- Tip the egg gently in the water and do not disturb for 2 minutes.The egg should come up automatically but if it doesn't nudge it with a spatula.At about 3-4 minutes the egg will be cooked but the yolk will still be runny.
- Using a slotted spoon take the poached egg out.Place it on the yogurt.
- Heat the butter in a small pan.Once it starts to bubble add the paprika,sumac and the garlic clove.Switch off the gas before the paprika starts to burn.
- Tip this tempering over the yogurt and egg and enjoy!